Hugo Winners Free at Fictionwise.com as eBooks (Note: This promotion ended September 10th)
September 2, 2000 - Chatham, NJ - James Patrick Kelly and Michael Swanwick each won the prestigious Hugo Award on September 2nd at "Chicon 2000," the 58th World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago. Both Hugo winning stories are available for free at Fictionwise.com (http://www.fictionwise.com) in four different eBook formats (Palm, Microsoft Reader, PDF, and Rocket). The winning stories, plus five other Hugo nominated works, will remain free at Fictionwise until September 10, 2000.
Other Fictionwise.com authors also won Hugos, including: Best Professional Editor - Gardner Dozois; Best Fan Writer - Dave Langford.
"We want to congratulate the authors on winning this important literary award," said Stephen Pendergrast, co-publisher at Fictionwise.com. "We're proud to offer these great works, as well as the other terrific Hugo nominated stories, at Fictionwise."
The Hugo Winning Stories are:
The Hugo Nominated Stories are:
- "Scherzo with Tyrannosaur" by Michael Swanwick. Description: Fun and games with dinosaurs during a time travel fund raising ball.
- "1016 to 1" by James Patrick Kelly. Description: A small boy struggling in the thick of the cold war is thrown into the middle of the struggle to preserve humanity.
- "Sarajevo" by Nick DiChario. Description: A man visits the bombed-out city of Sarajevo to fulfill a promise to his dead grandmother.
- "Hunting the Snark" by Mike Resnick. Description: Lewis Carroll's poem comes to life on a far away world.
- "Hothouse Flowers" by Mike Resnick. Description: She tends flowers. Her husband tends people who are about as sentient.
- "Ancient Engines" by Michael Swanwick Description: Even a robot doesn't live forever... perhaps.
- "Fossil Games" by Tom Purdom Description: In an age where almost everyone enhances their bodies using all manner of technology, a man tries to exit the enhancement rat-race by setting off to colonize the stars.
For more information about Chicon 2000 and the Hugo Ceremony go to:
focuses on selling award-winning and high quality short fiction eBooks by top authors in multiple formats, including Acrobat, Rocket, Palm, and Microsoft Reader. Most Fictionwise.com eBooks cost between 39 cents to two dollars. Fictionwise.com has hundreds of inexpensive titles from leading contemporary fiction authors, including Robert Silverberg, Nancy Kress, Damon Knight, Mike Resnick, Michael Swanwick, James Patrick Kelly, Pamela Sargent, Tom Purdom, and Kate Wilhelm, amongst others. In most cases, Fictionwise.com has the largest short fiction eBook collections available for its authors. Fictionwise.com currently has rights to nearly 400 short fiction eBooks, with an estimated 500 available by the end of this year.
Contact: Scott Pendergrast, Scott@mindwise.com, 973-701-6770